For that was The Diva's Challenge: to use only straight lines in our work this week. Like Laura, I wanted to bring energy and action to my tile, and enjoyed finding a way to do that.
It started to come about with the addition of triangles along the edge. Hollibaugh laid down some planks there, and athitzi wanted to be everywhere. A modified Keeko, some paradox. Then I did something I wish I hadn't...I shaded the piece with the light coming from the top (my default setting for where light comes from. Because I grew up in a house facing south, when the sun comes up it is from the left. And that's why, whenever I shade, the light comes from the upper left.)
well anyway, I shaded things in that direction, then Footlites came to mind. And I put them in. On the bottom. *sigh* so the shading looks downright unnatural. But the piece does have energy, even though it's not my favorite.
However, this week I did make a tile that I JUST LOVE. It's on my cubicle wall at work, so I can look at it.
I started with string #144, and was putting a different tangle in each section of string.
Flux was in one section, and WOW! so I decided to do a monotangle with just flux in this string. Of course I had to add ribbons and tipple, some stippling, a couple of shiny ribbony places.
So it's been a week of opposites. Curvy, leafy, ribbony, and straight, poky, thrusty, driven.
Good stuff, Maynard!