Thursday, June 2, 2016

Oh my, Skye!

Once I got the hang of it, I find Skye a MOST DELIGHTFUL pattern to play with.

My sketchbook



I put it on curves, did single motifs, and tried several ways of shading. I even made a row of Skye that looked metallic. Very cool!

(the metallic looking one is right here on the <<< rightmost of this picture)








So after all that practice, I decided to make a big piece, in my large sketchbook that has WONDERFUL 98 wt paper




This is before shading. 





I put Skye in here many times, some in rows, and some individual motifs. There are several with openings (a la' Ellish) that I JUST LOVE!!! It is so cool looking with the open spaces. Other patterns are hamail, florz, pineapple, flux, tipple, perls, printemps, and my hamail tangleation, along with a few spirals here and there.

Pineapple is the pattern on the right, it uses a leaflet outline with just shading. It is a Neal Burley pattern, and I've drastically adapted it so it is nothing but lines and shading.

I think this needs something more, something to tie it all together.

One other little tidbit, I want to do it again, but it involves a LOT of tiny little detail...

I was aiming to get those fibonacci spirals that are found in the center of sunflowers. I think I know what to do, now that I spent a few hours on this. Maybe I'll do it again some day.








10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the before and after shading. You can really see how much the shading adds. I also like the way you used Skye as a rod from which to suspend other tangles. Nice idea, very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the before and after shading. You can really see how much the shading adds. I also like the way you used Skye as a rod from which to suspend other tangles. Nice idea, very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice drawing with a beautiful Skye, I do like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ZIA! Thanks for sharing your process. All of your variations of "Skye" are lovely-it's such a fun pattern to play with once you get it;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your finished work is lovely. the before and after shading comparison was great and you did a really nice job of putting the final touches on yout drawing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Your shading is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love what you did with Skye. It is just flowing all over the page. I like the different ways you finished it with some open spaces in the middle and then the triangular ones on the end. The shading is great on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really very interesting composition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see so much fun....I'm smiling!!

    ReplyDelete