Monday, January 19, 2015

Tangling Mobius


The Diva has challenged us this week, to focus on Moebius Syndrome, which her darling little boy Artoo has. In honor of National Moebius Syndrome day, which is this coming Saturday, the 24th, she asks us to tangle using the Mobius Syndrome Association logo OR tangle on a paper mobius strip.

The Mobius strip is an item with only one side, which is easy to demonstrate, as you draw a line down the center (in this case, along the edges). You draw on one side, and one side only, without turning the strip over. You just start a line, and go. You end up where you started, but both sides have the line.

I found this to be fascinating, and tried to capture some of the "mystery" in photos.

And this is what I did:
I cut and taped the strip
                                                     
I decided a border was needed, as a zentangle practice, so I drew one on the edge, then decided to include an arrow for the second border, to make it easier to see what was happening.
                                                       
an arrow, to show the way. See the tape
where is my starting arrow?








the arrows meet. Hmmm.




I decided a simple pattern would work best, and since the mobius strip was looking like a bracelet, and a string of Hitched has always reminded me of jewelry, I went to work putting Hitched on my strip.                                             


making a bracelet, using Hitched

I purpled it!
I wore it!

Then, copying from a youtube video, I thought I'd cut it right down the middle, just to see what might happen.

cutting down the center
now it has two loop-de-loops instead of just one







And there you have it. This was really fun to do. I think Meer would be a VERY COOL pattern to draw on a mobius strip. I'm going to do another mobius strip and double loop it.
Complicate things, eh?

16 comments:

  1. You've been very creative! Nice to see a different approach of this challenge, I'm curious what your second strip will look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever way to approach this challenge. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, you're the only person I've seen who took a truly 3 dimensional approach to this challenge. I took the easy way out and used Laura's 2D template. Nice work and it looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, HeidiSue. Beautifully documented. Your post is riveting. I'm so impressed with how you think. Mobius rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great and creative idea! Thank you for all the photos of your mobius strip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully documented, HeidiSue. Very clever approach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful and very clever! Thank you for sharing your steps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How crafty is that!?! Great post and it looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unique way to do the challenge. Is fun to try different things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this in the YouTube video, but you were braver and tried it! Very well done and bog fun I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful approach to the challenge. Lovely bracelet. I don't know that I would have been brave enough to cut mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see how this works...I linked your post to mine so people who don't know how the moebius strip works can see your tutorial. Wonderful...hope it's OK to link this...asking forgiveness rather than permission, how cheeky, huh? : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the step by step description of your Moebius Strip. It's so informative and shows the properties on the moebius strip perfectly. Your moebius strip bracelet was precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful!! Thank you! :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/01/entry-moebius-syndrome-awareness-day-2015

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete