Tuesday, July 21, 2015

mosh triple play boomerang

This will be my first entry in  Suzy Mosh's new challenge, to play with a pattern, a monotangle using one pattern, three ways. Including the original pattern.  Tangle me 3 looks like a real good challenge to take up, because we'll have to play and experiment and really get to know a pattern.

This week's pattern is Boomerang and I did have fun playing with it. 

But first I want to show a pattern from the Neil Burley book of patterns, that I won in a random drawing from Suzy's New to Me Challenge a couple of weeks ago.

This is Victorian Flake, and it is SO elegant.


 As with all of Neil's patterns, there are individual elements in Victorian Flake that easily take the spotlight.
On the left, you can see where I put them in a grid,

this charming little tidbit in shiny black

 I've explored MANY other patterns in the book, and have developed something that *may* be a new pattern. At any rate, I am having so much fun with it. Thanks, Suzy! Thanks, Neil!

So, the Mosh challenge: To create a monotangle piece using Boomerang. And play with it, so that you have three different "looks" to the tangle.

After practicing a little while, I traced a regular sized tile into my skcetcbook, then a bijou tile gave me a hint of what a border would look like. But I decided to do the border only on two sides.

The original tangle can be seen across the middle, with weighted lines and some tipple. The border has two variations, where I actually goofed. I was making the second variation per the boomerang step outs page, where the boomerangs sort of alternate one leg over, one leg under, but when I went around the corner, and started down the right side...what the hay?

Turns out, that side is just the tips of the boomerangs crossing over each other, without the arcing center. Right?

And then some active dancing boomerangs filling the bottom section.

And I colored it in:

The ombre across the top!



Kept the color palette simple, using prismacolor pencils and micron pens in blue, green, and yellow. It doesn't show that well in the photo, but that layer of blue is actually two shades of blue in prismacolor. I wonder if burnishing it with my blending pencil will make a difference. Hmmm.

I can see where boomerang has potential to add a lot of action and movement to a piece, or in a grid, it can be very bold and stark.

2 comments:

  1. I love your bottom boomerangs, they look as if some have been thrown and some are on their way back. I am glad you think this is a fun challenge, I am finding it a great learning tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great variations! Thanks for being part of the TM3 challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete