Thursday, January 28, 2016

Tangle Strings

This week's Diva Challenge is to use a tangle pattern as a string. I did a couple of tiles, and enjoyed both of them a lot!

But also this past week, I went with last week's theme of "Old School, Basic Zentangle" and made myself an ensemble, of six tiles

You can sort of see the string here. It was a 3x2 ensemble, and I just put all six tiles together, and made the string over all six.
Here I've got three of the tiles done. Each tile was like doing the Diva challenge for last week: quiet, meditative, breathing, in the moment...

 One thing that would have made this a lot more fun would have been if there had been six people, each person taking one tile, and putting it all together, like in a zentangle class....

but that's not happening right now, so I got to do the next best thing.


LaBel, Floatfest, DivaDance, Pineapple, Rixty, Meeko, opus, Concert, B'tweed, Brax, Fishnet, Hollibaugh, Undling, Aquafleur, Flez, Ennies, N'zeppel, (with my crax in the lines) Flux,  some ribbons and tipple, Macramee,Frond, Punzel, N'Zeppel, Buttercup, Bubblz, Pais, ArcFlower, Cadent,
Putki, Axlexa,

and several random beadlines, tipple, ribbony things, and sparkles.

So that's what I did while waiting for this week's Diva challenge! ha!

It was a fun challenge, too. Use a tangle as a string.

My first one, I was in a Meringue mood, so I put that on as my string:

 this is the string with a couple of patterns.
This is my Meringue String
Three tangles in each "leaf", and some Meringue leaves off to the sides. This was fun!

Then I thought W-2 would be fun to play with

Here's the string...and when it came time to put tangles in it, I thought


and look what I ended up with

It ended up a monotangle and how cool it looks! I want to try it with the "twisty" version of paradox, so each section of W2 is a bit more distinct.

Fun challenge, Creative week.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Suzy *Q* Mosh

This week Suzy's place   has a challenge: to use new Q tangles...that is, what we have never used before, and something of our choice from the patterns of Barbara Finwall.

for my  Q pattern, new to me, is Quickzly and I also used Queen's Crown.

Barbara's patterns that I used were Gnarly and Ole.

The "string" is a freehand copy of a template by Ben Kwok. You can find his amazing and fun to play with templates at the FB page Ornation Creation

It's a closed group, but you might be able to see some of the work that people have done. I'm going to get some transfer paper for putting a template in my sketchbook. Printing it up means that the template is on printer paper...not my favorite. Anyway, that's why I did the freehand onto my sketchbook.

You can see the quickzly on her forehead and the tip of her nose; queen's crown across her brow (where else) and along the upper edge of the eyes. And Barbara's Ole comes down the bridge of the nose, while her Gnarly is bursting out across the cheekbones.

Other patterns are: zenith, phicops, fescu, onomato, zedbra, and finery, framing the nose sort of feathery like. It was fun tangling this, and coloring, too. Prismacolor pencils with a little bit of white gelly roller as highlights on the eyes.

The asymmetry, so important and SO elegant in the original, makes me giggle. Those lopsided ears! ha!

Friday, January 15, 2016

It's a Sharp String

Joey has been leading us through musical challenges. Last week we had a flat string, and this week we played with a sharp and Knightsbridge.

This is the first one I did. I actually ended up liking it quite a bit. Somehow, it ended up looking like a landscape with depth, and a bit of horizon. In a purely boxy, linear, black and white way.

This one didn't turn out like I expected and it's my least favorite. I guess the spiral and the wavy banner-ish thing are okay but it's...whatever.

BUT! this one gave me the idea of making the string more noticeable

So I made the string double on all lines, and drew in the sections of the string, and they were sort of rounded so then...why not Aquafleur them?

I think this one turned out pretty cool.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Old School Zentangle

This week's Diva challenge was to create a good old fashioned tangle, on a 3.5x3.5 card, black on white with shading, and using the technique of silence and appreciation during creation.

This was a very good exercise for me, as I rarely tangle in silence. I usually have something going in the background. Sitting and doing this in silence was good for me. Thoughts were able to flow: my daughter whom I helped move yesterday; my sweety who was still asleep; some incredible thinking and learning I've been doing about quantum physics and near death experiences and the afterlife.

Under the surface of the pond

I started by holding the tile in my hand, and appreciating the quality of the tiepolo paper I had. Breathed. Put the border on in pencil, enjoying the line of graphite as it went down. Decided on a string, and began with the ink.

Using an idea I got from Shelly Beauch, I used a W string and filled it up with favorites. Because I woke up with it in my mind, I started with seedling in the center. Then Hollibaugh, printemps with some Mr E; b'tweed, flux, mooka, and zinger. I finished with the varied dots, and shading.

It took me about a half hour, and it was a very pleasant, calm 30 minutes.

I created this tile earlier in the week, but then realized I had sat with the TV on while doing it...

I call it "The Flow" because my thoughts have been so full of the nature of the universe, the flow of life energy through EVERYTHING, how the realm of the spirit flows into and through the physical and around it.

After I shaded it, I decided the bottom was the light source so things look lit from below.

There is cracked, nipon, flux, knights bridge, dyon, beadlines, Mr E and fronds. With some tipple and some aaaah!